Best Walks in Australia: Luxury Walks and Hikes
Luxury walking holidays in Australia are growing in popularity. Here's our list of Australia's best walks from multi-day walking tours to independent day hikes.
By Walk into Luxury
Whether you prefer day walks paired with luxury lodge style accommodation, or multi-day journeys with professional guides and National Park accommodation, there's something for everyone in this list of Australia's best walks.
Best Mountain Walks in Australia
- Cradle Mountain – A bucket-list walk for the experienced hiker, Cradle Mountain is truly one of the best walks in Australia. Traverse World Heritage listed national park wilderness as you make you way past pretty alpine lakes as you journey towards the summit. After a challenging 6-8 hour day walk, return to the luxury comfort of nearby Cradle Mountain Lodge and be sure to book in for a soak in the extraordinary spa with valley views.
- Lake St Clair - Walk into Luxury's 4 day small group walk at Pumphouse Point takes in the best walking in the southern end of Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park and Mount Field. Guests stay at boutique wilderness lodge, Pumphouse Point, known for its unique architecture and dramatic setting with guest rooms perched overlooking the lake. Your first day sees you visiting Russell Falls and hiking the Western side of Mount Field National Park to alpine lakes and tarns, before arriving at Lake St Clair. Spend a few days with a local guide who will escort you on the best day hikes around Lake St Clair with the chance to mix things up and experience Lake St Clair from the water or alongside it on a self-guided e-bike.
- Scenic Rim Walk - For something a little different, the mountains of the Scenic Rim region of South East Queensland combines mountainous scenery with ancient world-heritage listed Gondwana rainforest. The Scenic Rim Walk by Spicers if a fellow member of the Great Walks of Australia and feature eco hut accommodation with guests enjoying local food and wine at night in cozy dining rooms warmed by a fire, and waking to the sound of birdsong.
Best Coastal Walks in Australia
- Maria Island Walk - This Great Walk of Australia is based on Tasmania's East Coast and includes 4 days of coastal walking combined with exclusive eco hut camps and a historic lodge on the last night. Knowledgeable local guides lead the walk and local food and wine is served each evening under the stars.
- Cape to Cape Walk - Okay we may be biased, but the Cape to Cape truly is Australia's best coastal hike so we think it only fitting that our signature Cape to Cape Walk, which is also one of the Great Walks of Australia, be included here. Walkers take in the best of the Cape to Cape Track in Western Australia over 4 days, and enjoy local food and wine and ultra-luxe pool villa accommodation overlooking the Indian Ocean. Enjoy the sunset over the ocean with Margaret River wine in hand and you'll agree this is a luxury walk worthy of this list.
Best Foodie Walks in Australia
- Kangaroo Island Wilderness Trail - This new walking trail on South Australia's Kangaroo Island takes in spectacular coastal scenery and wildlife on offer here including local seal colonies. Southern Ocean Lodge assists guests to walk sections of the trail self-guided or with one of the lodge guides. On arrival back at the Lodge each day expect your favourite tipple to be waiting for you in the lounge, with an impressive dinner to follow. This is the ultimate luxury hiking experience in Australia.
- Cape to Cape Walk - The Cape to Cape Track runs through the Margaret River wine region, and Walk into Luxury's signature Cape to Cape Walk includes Margaret River wines with dinners, local beer and wine in each guest's villa, and an exclusive four course winery lunch with wine matches on day 4 - what better way to finish a hike through Australia's best food and wine region!
Best outback walks in Australia
- Arkaba Walk, Flinders Ranges South Australia - The Arkaba Walk takes in the ranges and valleys of hte Ikara-Flinders Ranges and the Arkaba wildlife conservancy. Private trails through the conservancy and sections of the long-distance Heysen Trail are covered on this 4 day experience considered by many to be South Australia's best guided walk. A quintessential Australian experience with great South Australian food and knowledgeable local guides. Arkaba Walk is also one of the Great Walks of Australia.
- Classic Larapinta Walk in Comfort- This outback icon takes in the best of the West MacDonnell Ranges in the Northern Territory accommodating walkers in its semi-permanent safari camps. This desert walk takes 6 days and is all about the landscape.
Best walks in Western Australia
- Karijini and Kalbari independently - Given our expertise on walking holidays in WA, we think a special note on WA's best walks is appropriate. There are some incredible walks through gorges in Karijini National Park in the Pilbara region of WA, and our tip would be do them self-guided as day walks and base yourself at Karijini Eco Retreat where you can camp or glamp. Do a similar thing in Kalbarri and hike Murchison Gorge and the coastal cliff walks of this area while staying in a rented luxury villa in town. The brand new Kalbarri Skywalk is a must-do attraction when visiting Murchison Gorge.
- Cape Range National Park hiking - Hike from the gorges of Cape Range to Ningaloo Reef while staying within the Cape Range National Park on the beachfront at exclusive Sal Salis. This is the perfect base for your day walks around Cape Range as its knowledgeable guides will escort you on your day walks and all food and wine is included.
- Bibbulmun Track - Our South Coast Walk takes in the best sections of the Bibbulmun Track along WA's south coast between Walpole, Denmark and Albany. This area is also known for its wines and quality local produce.
- Cape to Cape Track - as mentioned, our Signature Cape to Cape Walk is WA's best small group walk and one of the Great Walks of Australia. We also offer private independent Cape to Cape walking tours such as our 6 day Best of the Cape to Cape tour which includes a private driver, luxury Margaret River accommodation and local food and wine experiences.
If we can help plan your luxury walking tour in Australia, please get in touch. You can explore more at the links below:
>> View our award-winning Cape to Cape Walk
>> View Best Walks in Western Australia