Western Australia is vast. The planning of a luxury tour through our great State is all about the detail and requires knowledge of luxury accommodation, distances, options for private transfers and domestic flights, local authentic experiences and the best tour providers in each region. Walk into Luxury specialises in personalised private and small group tours of Western Australia which combine the best luxury accommodation in WA with the best nature-based experiences and WA food and wine.
We have discovered many hidden gems across Western Australia and partnered with many businesses over the years, so we want to share our tips for planning the ultimate private tour of WA if this is your preferred style of travel. If you like small group touring, our notes on the best luxury small group tours in Western Australia are for you.
Private Tours of WA
Plan your own luxury journey
A good starting point for planning your West Australian luxury holiday is to get familiar with the distances and travel options for travelling between your chosen destinations. Some favourite touring routes are noted below along with common travel options –
- Perth – Margaret River – Albany – Perth (south-west loop) – Self-drive is simplest for the South-West self-drive route as there is no flight or train option between Margaret River and Albany. You could fly from Albany to Perth if you hire a car and return it to Albany Airport. It is a 3 hour drive from Perth to Margaret River, and 3 hours from Margaret River to Albany. Albany to Perth is 4 hours drive or 1 hour flight.
- Perth – Exmouth – Broome – If you have the time, you can self-drive this route which will take you 27 hours in total (with Exmouth half way between Perth and Broome). Shark Bay is worth a visit if you self-drive this route. You can fly from Perth to Exmouth and then hire a car to drive to Broome. There is no regular flight from Exmouth to Broome or Kununurra.
- Perth – Broome – Kununurra (East Kimberley) – The best option to travel to Broome and the Kimberley from Perth is to fly. There are flight from Perth to Broome, Broome to Kununurra, and back to Perth. There are also direct flights from Kununurra to the east coast of Australia if that is your next destination.
- Perth – Rottnest Island – Rottnest Express ferry is a simple and scenic way to get from Perth or Fremantle to Rottnest Island. It takes about an hour, and you can arrange bike hire with your ferry ticket. There are no cars on Rottnest so a bike is a great way to explore the island, or you can use the hop-on hop-off bus that loops around the island every hour.
- Perth – Esperance – Albany – Perth – this is another great self-drive loop that is popular for those with plenty of time. The drive from Perth to Esperance is about 8 hours, and it takes 5 hours from Esperance to Albany. You can also fly from Perth to Esperance, and from Albany to Perth so its possible to cut out two of the long drives and just hire a car for the middle section.
Once you have an idea of where you will journey to and how you will get there, our next tip is to research the experiences and key attractions you want to see while in each spot. This will help narrow down where the best accommodation options. For some ideas on luxury day tours and the best experiences available in Western Australia our ‘build your own adventure‘ brochure may help. You can also use the Tourism WA website to learn more about activities and accommodation available in each region.
Independent luxury touring of WA (supported)
A few companies offer private tours of WA which often include transfers and accommodation with some activity passes included. Walk into Luxury is a little different in that our private WA tours focus on the unique experiences and food and wine, as well as the accommodation and piecing it all together with ground transfers. We can personalise your journey to suit your bucket-list, or you can choose from our recommended journeys which include our hand-picked selection of the best bucket-list experiences, luxury lodges, and food and wine experiences in WA. Examples include:
- 7 day Cosmopolitan Tour – combines 3 days in Margaret River – experiencing the Cape to Cape Track, Cape Lodge (one of the Luxury Lodges of Australia) and a feature winery lunch at founding winery Vasse Felix with their impressive Icon wines – with 4 days in Perth experiencing a day on Rottnest Island by helicopter, Kings Park picnic experience, and two boutique luxury hotels.
- Nature, luxury lodge, food and wine focus – Walk into Luxury’s 10 day West Coast Luxury Adventure combines time at Ningaloo Reef (Exmouth) with Rottnest Island, Perth and Margaret River. Nature-based experiences are the focus with whale-shark swim and snorkelling at Ningaloo Reef a highlight. Time on the Cape to Cape Walk with local guides, and a day riding around the bays of Rottnest Island are also included, along with several ‘wow’ foodie moments. This luxury tour also includes time at the brand new Ritz Carlton in Perth!
- 12 day Margaret River and Kimberley Tour – this bucket-list WA tour combines Margaret River, Perth, Broome and the East Kimberley over 12 days. Highlights include 3 days at El Questro Homestead with guided experiences included each day (think gorge hikes and river cruises), and a Horizontal Falls experience by seaplane and boat while staying at iconic Cable Beach Club. The 4 day Cape to Cape Walk is also included which showcases the best of Margaret River on foot with exclusive food and wine experiences like private chef dinners and winery lunches included.
Small group tours WA
If you like the idea of being hosted on your journey through WA and travelling with a small group of like-minded travellers, a small group tour is for you. Some of the Best luxury tours of Western Australia fall into this category. Each tour company has a slightly different focus and standard/level of inclusions, so read the fine print and weigh up the options that suit you best.
Here are a selection of highly-rated Western Australian small group tours – some ours and some delivered by others.
- Kimberley, water focus – True North and other luxury cruise operators offer exceptional cruises through the Kimberley waterways and gorges with helicopter excursion off the boat. Kimberley cruises are growing in popularity and this is a fantastic way to experience the best of the remote Kimberley region by water with guided activities and food and wine included.
- Walking focus – For those luxury-walk lovers, our small group walking tour of WA combines WA’s best walks – on the Cape to Cape in Margaret River and Bibbulmun Track on the south coast – with small group touring at its finest. Luxury accommodation, signature food and wine experiences at wineries and award-winning Perth restaurants are included, not to mention a private chef dinner or two. This is a great way to experience the south-west corner of WA.
- Rail, outback focus – The Indian Pacific is a grand transcontinental rail journey that allows you to discover Western Australia’s outback as your travel from Perth to Kalgoorlie and across the Nullabor to Adelaide and on to Sydney. This 3 day experience is perfect for those who love the glamour of rail journeys or who prefer not to fly or travel long distances in cars. Comfortable cabins and top food and wine is included.
- Sight-seeing focus – APT and other traditional large tour companies are popular for general sight-seeing tours particularly in the north of the State where their 4wd vehicles allow them to venture to stations and off the highways. This 14 day 4wd tour is a good example, with a group size of 20.
In choosing your luxury tour operator note the group sizes and inclusions and consider how you would like to travel. Smaller group sizes may allow more personalised and exclusive touring options and unique boutique lodge style accommodation options, whereas larger groups often stay in resort/hotel style accommodation. Also do check if they are a local WA specialist and what’s included by way of meals – this can range from the ‘packed lunch’ style to multi-course lunches with wine matches at award-winning venues.
So there you have it. A few things to think about when planning a luxury WA holiday. If we can help with your plans, please get in touch or you can learn more at the link below.
>> LEARN MORE: Luxury WA touring with Walk into Luxury